Maplewood police arrest 17-year-old male in Hurd case

Acting Maplewood Police Chief Dave Kvam informs the media that an arrest has been made in the Anna Hurd murder case. (Johana Holub/Review)

Anna Hurd's family looks on as as they listen to Acting Police Chief Dave Kvam during a press conference Friday afternoon, March 1. (Johana Holub/Review)

Authorities withhold identity of suspect

Maplewood police arrested a 17-year-old male at 12:15 p.m. March 1 at a Maplewood home in connection with the murder of Anna Hurd.

At a press conference Friday afternoon, acting Maplewood Police Chief Dave Kvam did not identify the suspect, because he had not been formally charged in the case.

"There is no evidence of premeditation," Kvam said. "We do know it was an acquaintance."

Kvam also assured the public there is no threat to their safety.

If the male is charged, his name will become public.

Screams heard in neighborhood

Maplewood police responded to the area of McKnight Road and Ripley Avenue following the report of a person requiring medical attention at 4:30 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23. When officers arrived at the scene, they found the body of North St. Paul resident Anna Hurd, 16, at Hillside Park.

The Ramsey County Medical Examiner's Office performed an autopsy and preliminarily ruled Hurd's death "the result of several stabbing-type puncture wounds." Maplewood police withheld additional information regarding the weapon or location and severity of the wounds.

Hurd, a former North High School student, lived with her father, Patrick, about five blocks from Hillside Park. Her mother and two sisters live in Texas, and Hurd had been staying with her father in Minnesota for the past year, according to other media reports. She was expected to return to Texas via bus to be with her mother and sisters the next day.

Her father told authorities he last saw her on Feb. 21 before her boyfriend picked her up.

Hurd reportedly left her boyfriend's home, which was about six blocks from her father's house, the night she was killed.

A homeowner in the Hillside Park neighborhood, who asked not to be identified, told the Review that a member of her household had heard loud noises in the park the night of Hurd's death. She described the sounds as "pterodactyl-like screams."

'Wanted to be your friend'

She expressed relief that the police had charged a suspect. "My daughter didn't want to be in our house alone, knowing there's someone out there."

The mother said her teenager daughter described Anna as always polite and talkative.

"She was one of those types that wanted to be your friend, and once she was your friend, she was your best friend," the woman said.

A memorial fund in Anna Hurd's name has been set up at Wells Fargo Bank. Funeral services were held Feb. 28 at St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church in North St. Paul.

Johanna Holub can be reached at or 651-748-7814.

Referenced Article: 
Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here