Football: Tartan and North win while Hill-Murray goes down at Sibley

Tartan junior running back Emmanuel Willies (7) carries for a 71-yard touchdown. He ran in three on 18 carries for 224 yards. The Titans won 21-13 over Fridley Oct. 3. (Linda Baumeister/Review)

Tartan junior Benjamin Engwer (18) gains 12-yards on a quarterback keeper against Fridley Oct. 3, a 21-13 win. (Linda Baumeister/Review)

The Tartan Fall Pom Squad, attired in pink, performed at the football halftime Oct. 3. (Linda Baumeister/Review)

As week five of the fall football season wrapped up, Tartan gained a victory over non-conference foe Fridley. North traveled to Hastings and came away with a three-point win. Hill-Murray ventured to West St. Paul to face Henry Sibley and took it on the chin by a touchdown.

Tartan 21 - Fridley 13

On the raw, blustery damp night, the Fridley Tigers ventured to Oakdale for a non-conference football contest with Tartan High School.

"We were able to get the win. It's about time for us," stated elated Tartan coach Aaron Mullen. "Our offensive line stepped up and opened some nice holes.

"Emmanuel (Willies) was able to take advantage of them. With his speed he gained some big yards for us," Mullen added. "Our defense matched up well and played an outstanding game tonight. It was a big win for us and it feels good."

The Tigers gained the upper hand when Andre Swayne stepped in front of a Tartan pass in the flats and sprinted 30-yards untouched into the end zone.

The point-after kick was good and just 4:48 into the first quarter Fridley was up 7-0.

Following the ensuing kickoff, the Titans received the ball on their 29-yard line. It took one play for Willies to break free around his left side. He left his pursuers looking at his heels as he sped 71-yards in for a score.

Matt Drosky booted the point after and the first quarter ended all level at 7-7.

The Titans began at their own 13-yard line with 1:30 left before halftime. The drive featured a 19-yard run by quarterback Ben Engwe, a 31-yard pass to tight end Lucas Miske and a 25-yard scoot by Willies. The 87-yard, six-play drive was completed when a two-yard aerial was hauled in by Willies with just nine seconds left on the clock. The extra-point kick was blocked, but the Titans had 13-7 lead at halftime.

The Titans put the winning points on the board in the fourth quarter when Willies broke free and sprinted 65-yards into the end zone. The junior running back amassed 224 yards on 18 carries - a 12.4 per carry average - and scored three touchdowns.

A five-yard penalty pushed the Titans back for the point-after attempt. That didn't hinder Engwer from passing to Chase Fleischauer for the two-point conversion that gave Tartan a 21-7 margin.

Further into the fourth quarter with the Tigers on the move, a 28-yard pass to an open Jon Arzola - gave Fridley a TD. The PAT sailed wide left and the final score, 21-13, was posted.

North 24 - Hastings 21

The North High Polars traveled south to Hastings for a game with the Raiders. What had to be considered an upset, the Polars posted a "shaky" 24-21 victory for their first Metro East Conference victory of the year.

North coach Eric Longtin was happy with the win and said, "It was a good game. We almost gave it to them in the end, but our defense stepped up and held them.

"They scored first, but our kids showed they really came to play. Our offense moved the ball into the wind and controlled the clock. That made a big difference. Our defense really stepped up and they had trouble moving the ball against us."

The Raiders took the opening kickoff and scored on their first possession when Steve Henderson went in from five-yards out. Dorren Sheegog booted the PAT and just 2:46 into the game Hastings had a 7-0 lead.

The Polars responded when Jordan Holt hit Isaiah Koran on a 14-yard pass. Lou Lor put the point after through the uprights and with five minutes remaining in the first quarter the score was 7-7.

Hastings again took the lead in the second quarter when it had a 58-yard pass/run- Jacob Brown to Tyler Sylvester. Sheegog kicked the PAT boot and 3:32 into the quarter the Raiders led 14-7.

Two minutes later Akeem Sirleaf broke free and showed his speed on a 60-yard gallop into the Hastings end zone. Lor put the PAT through and the count read 14-14.

A North drive bogged down at the 21-yard line as the clock approached the halfway mark. The Polars lined up for a field goal. Then came the "shaky" three points, which were the difference in the game.

Lor's 38-yard kick banged the ball off the goal post upright, caromed down and hit the cross bar before bounding over for the field goal that gave the Polars a 17-14 margin with just 15-seconds left before halftime.

The Polars ran off precious minutes in the third quarter and as play moved to the fourth an aerial - 21-yards Jordan Holt to Zach Lauzon - was good for a North touchdown. Lor booted the PAT and the Polars had a 24-14 edge.

Matt Marshall took the ensuing kickoff at his 20 and sprinted 80 yards to the end zone. Sheegog booted the PAT to put the final points on the board in the 24-21 North triumph.

The Polars put 405 total yards on the board to the Raiders' 243. They had two pass interceptions and held a 26:42 to 21:18 edge in possession time as they gained 19 first downs to the Raiders' 14.

Individual rushing stats saw Sirleaf lead North on eight rushes for 120 yards - 15 per - and one touchdown. North workhorses were Nate McDonald 17/120 7.1; Deon Benson 14/72 5.1, and Koran 21/58 2.8.

Henry Sibley 13 - Hill-Murray 7

The Pioneers suffered a hard-luck road loss to Henry Sibley Oct. 3.

In a game in which Hill-Murray put 160 yards of total offense into the record book to only 130 for Sibley, the big numbers on the board at game's end proved most important once again.

The Pioneers scored first on a five-yard pass from Sam Westby to Charlie Hilger. Eric Burns converted the point-after kick.

The Warriors matched the Hill-Murray score when Xavier Hansen crashed in from one-yard out. Bergan Thomson was true with the PAT, and the 7-7 score lasted until regulation time ran out.

Sibley scored to the only points in the overtime session on a seven-yard Hilger keeper and the 13-7 total gave the Warriors their only lead in the game.

Up next

There are two weeks left in Metro East Conference football action. Next up at 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 10, will see Henry Sibley (3-2, 3-3) at St. Thomas Academy (3-2, 4-2); South St. Paul (6-0, 6-1) at Hill-Murray (3-3); Simley (4-1, 4-2) at Mahtomedi (2-3, 2-4); and Tartan (0-5, 1-5) at North High (1-4, 2-4).

In non-conference action Hastings (2-4) will travel to Cottage Grove to meet Park.

Wally Wakefield can be reached at


Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here