“I do not think there are any reservations about the United States or the European members of the alliance about the need to reject such demands,” Christian Dykones told PTI on Friday about Russia’s demands for the withdrawal of NATO troops and weapons from the region.
The former Romanian foreign minister said the demands were maximum, but warned that any talks would end in a compromise and, in this view, “Romania must be very careful.”
Diagonald also spoke of the need for Romania to be vigilant, as the Black Sea region could be tested by Russia in Putin’s attempt to redefine relations with NATO.
He recalled that Russia’s intervention plans included an element that would cover the mouths of the Danube and Transnistria.
“From this point of view, it is clear that accessing dangerous military capabilities on the Romanian border is of particular concern to us,” the former foreign minister said.
“Requests are high and completely unacceptable”
Freedom: First, is there anything new in this Moscow demand that explicitly targets Romania?
Christian Diegonescu: This is not a novelty for Romania. This is a topic that has been on the list of concerns of the Russian Federation for some time. It also spread to the American and European parties Collection of requests The Russian Federation noted this in the context of the talks that began a few days ago in Geneva on easing the situation in Ukraine.
Live. Negotiations in Geneva. Russia expects a written response to its demands from the United States within the next week
It’s a matter of policy here. Basically, there are two main demands for the Russian Federation. One of these is the withdrawal of the North Atlantic Alliance in the 1997 reorganization, so that the states that joined NATO after 1990 would be the founding act of the alliance, without the necessary political-military guarantees to virtually participate in the Washington Accord.
The second demand is about a decision that the Russian Federation wants in relation to whether the Coalition will decide not to extend it to the East.
Both demands would invalidate the practice in practice, but would also invalidate NATO’s operation. They are max and, in my opinion, completely unacceptable.
– Since it is difficult to believe that this request will be fulfilled, how to decode it? What does Moscow want to achieve?
– This is increasingly necessary for Romania’s presence with its allies, but from this perspective it is also necessary to create a sense of unity and solidarity in the Atlantic Ocean.
I do not think there are any reservations about the United States or the European members of the Alliance about the need to reject such demands. Restoring the confidence of states or citizens in security guarantees based on NATO’s performance would set a very difficult precedent for the coalition.
Reaction from inside Bucharest University: “Theft is not a fad, it’s just another attack on our freedom and well-being”
I think these issues cannot be negotiated. There are maximum demands from the Kremlin, but in any case, any negotiations end in compromise. From this point of view, Romania should be very careful. At the moment, Romania is in the eye of the volcano.
“We have an additional responsibility for regional security”
– However, we know that NATO has some different views on Russia’s reaction. Are there any differences in this regard?
– In my opinion, the debate should not end in one chapter, it should be military. In general, any kind of aggression should be treated as such and an appropriate response should be sought. But more important than that is early warning and prevention. The North Atlantic Coalition, after Russia’s intervention in Ukraine in 2014, decided to promote three types of approaches to relations with the Russian Federation: dialogue, security and prevention.
So in all three cases, the negotiating table should outline the type of mandate that NATO needs to clarify collectively and individually.
Amid the crisis on the Ukrainian border, Russia has openly called for the withdrawal of NATO forces from Romania and Bulgaria.
In this perspective, one element or another of the negotiations exists at a particular moment. But even in the Russian Federation I think the victory of the military component is not in anyone’s favor.
– You another day one Free Europe Interview Bucharest should be wary that the Black Sea region could be “tested” by the Russian Federation in Vladimir Putin’s attempt to redefine Moscow’s relations with NATO. What do you think we can expect?
– Intervention plans, as they appear in general, include elements that represent the mouths of the Danube and Transnistria. From this point of view it is clear that the approach of the Romanian border to dangerous military capabilities is of particular concern to us.
We have an additional responsibility for regional security, including the Republic of Moldova. And there is no need to argue from this point of view.
Third, military intervention in Ukraine, among other things, will have catastrophic consequences for the region and a major immigration wave.
So Bucharest has definite, timely questions to answer. Of course, not all of these approaches and results need to be made public, nor will it be normal. But on the other hand, the firm and definite approach that Romania has in such a situation, the red lines should be clear and familiar.
“No security offers can be made”
– Romania Are there do’s and don’ts? For example, some talked about the need for a CSAT meeting. (Glass Iohanis Announced Then added by CSAT)
– As far as I know, in the in-depth discussion with our Euro-Atlantic allies, Romania did everything it could. Now, about the general expectations of an action – everyone makes their own assessments. But I know Romania is active, and I have no objection to this perspective.
– Some voices said that Ukraine should be neutral, which would not provoke Russia. This is a proposal that could be extended to the situation in Romania. But is this a realistic option?
– In the context of the crisis posed by the military threat, it will not be a secret to anyone and no security concessions can be made. I can not comment on behalf of Ukraine, but with regard to Romania, no such compromise is rejected.
Partners – GSP.RO
It’s amazing how much success Roxana Siuhules has in Survivor. His salary is 20 times higher than the salary in the Ministry of Sports
Shock! The reaction of Livio Trocnia after Irina Tanase reached DNA. What he said is untrue
The policeman who tragically injured Raisa wrote a letter to the grieving family saying, “I did something wrong, I did something wrong, I do not know what else to do.”
Horoscope January 21, 2022. Capricorn zodiac signs notice the benefits of the environment, but can not take advantage of them because they are incomplete.
What will that “Hour of the Apocalypse” look like and how long will it be until “midnight”? Scientists’ announcement
How Regecombe reacted when he heard rumors that Anamaria was Proton’s boyfriend: “She came to our house”
Farmark – How to choose natural fur
Watch the latest video
“Evil gamer. Amateur music trailblazer. Alcohol geek. Problem solver. Coffee advocate. Troublemaker. Infuriatingly humble zombieaholic.”