Miami – Dolphins quarterback Toa Tagovailoa He remains in concussion protocol and will not participate in next week’s Pro Bowl games, a source told ESPN on Friday.
Tagovailoa was named the Pro Bowler’s first replacement and was hired to replace either player Joe Burrow or Patrick Mahomes, with both quarterbacks playing in the AFC Championship Game on Sunday and one heading to Super Bowl LVII. However, Tagovailoa entered protocol on December 26 after suffering a concussion in Miami’s loss to the Green Bay Packers the previous day and missed the team’s last three games of the season, including a wild card loss to the Buffalo Bills.
According to the source, Tagovailoa’s time on protocol was thoughtful as he meets many doctors and specialists. There have been no setbacks as the Dolphins prioritize his long term health.
The third-year quarterback achieved career highs in passing and touchdowns this season while leading the NFL in passer rating. He was also the top vote-getter in the Pro Bowl fan vote.
Tagovailoa missed the better part of six games after suffering concussions in Week 4 and Week 16. The NFL and National Football League released two joint evaluations of how he handled his head injuries this season, the first of which led to him terminating an unaffiliated neurological consultant. Tagovailoa was cleared to play after hitting his head in Week 3 and was fumbled shortly after.
The NFL changed its concussion protocol as a result of that joint review.
Dolphins general manager Chris Greer said earlier this month that the team will enter the 2023 season with Tagovailoa as its starting quarterback, and that doctors they’ve spoken with don’t think a quarterback’s concussion will make him more susceptible to head injuries.
The Dolphins have a May 1 deadline to exercise the fifth-year option on Tagovailoa’s rookie contract.
“Introvert. Subtly charming web geek. Lifelong entrepreneur. Amateur social media expert. Coffee trailblazer.”