Chris Rock says he was asked to host the Oscars next year after fellow actor slapped him on stage will Smith While presenting an award on stage at the March gala.
Rock, who previously hosted the Academy Awards in 2005 and 2016, revealed the invitation during a standup show in Phoenix on Sunday, according to Arizona Republic.
Rock allegedly told the audience that he refused, along with the Super Bowl ad. He said Smith’s slap “hurts.”
“He’s older than me,” said Rock. “Nevada will not allow a fight between me and Will Smith.”
CNN has reached out to a Rock and Academy representative for comment.
Smith walked on stage at the Academy Awards and punched the comedian in the face after he made a joke about Smith’s wife’s shaved head. Jada Pinkett Smith suffers from hair loss due to alopecia, an autoimmune condition that can lead to hair loss.
Smith was banned from academy-related events for 10 years and has apologized. In last month’s videoThe actor said he was “deeply sorry” about the incident.
“I’ve reached out to Chris and the message that came back is that he’s not ready to talk, and when he’s ready, he’ll reach out,” Smith said. “So I will tell you, Chris, I apologize to you. My behavior has been unacceptable and I am here whenever I am ready to speak.”
“Travel geek. Incurable music expert. Food maven. Troublemaker. Lifelong student. Avid tv junkie.”