At least three people were killed and dozens of homes damaged in the Russian city of Belgorod near the border with Ukraine, the regional governor said Sunday, and Kiev acknowledged it could lose its last major stronghold in eastern Ukraine.
Ukrainian tanks on the war front with RussiaPhoto: Ukrainian Army
Sunday’s 130th Day of War in Ukraine Highlights, LIVETEXT:
08:22 At least three people were killed and dozens of residential buildings were destroyed Damaged in Belgorod, RussiaThe regional governor said after several explosions were reported in the city, near the border with Ukraine.
07:55 Sunday morning, a brief recap of recent events
- Oleksiy Arestovych, an adviser to Zelenskim, acknowledged that Lysysansk, Ukraine’s last major stronghold in Luhansk province, could fall as fighting intensified.
- Luhansk People’s Republic’s “ambassador” to Russia, Rodion Miroshnik, said: “Lysizhansk has been brought under control,” but “he has not yet been released.”
- In addition to fighting in the east, Russia said it struck Ukrainian military command positions in Nikolaev, near the Black Sea port of Odessa, where the mayor reported heavy explosions.
- Lukashenko said Ukraine tried to attack military installations on Belarusian territory last week, but all of its missiles were intercepted.
- German Economy Minister Robert Habeck said Russia may continue to cut gas flows through the Nord Stream 1 pipeline beyond a planned shutdown for maintenance this month.
- The United States is sending two NASAMS surface-to-air missile systems, four additional anti-aircraft radars, and 150,000 155-mm artillery shells to Ukraine.
- A Reuters analysis shows that a significant number of companies, executives and investors in Russia’s defense sector have not yet been affected by Western sanctions.
- “The Russian tactic at the moment is to bomb whatever building we are in. After destroying it, I move on to the next one,” a Russian soldier told Reuters as he and his comrades took a break in Konstantinivka, west of Lysizansk.
“Evil gamer. Amateur music trailblazer. Alcohol geek. Problem solver. Coffee advocate. Troublemaker. Infuriatingly humble zombieaholic.”