Police say carbon monoxide killed 3 Americans in the Bahamas resort

Three American tourists Found dead at Sandal Resort in the Bahamas Police said on Tuesday were killed in May carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Royal Bahamas Police said in a statement that the three victims, Recognition Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65, are from Tennessee. and Vincent Chiarella, 64, of Florida, died of asphyxiation from carbon monoxide poisoning.

They said the investigation into the fatal accident was still ongoing.

Michael and Robbie Phillips.Robbie Phillips / Via Facebook

The three Americans were found dead at the Sandals Emerald Bay Resort in Great Exuma on May 6.

Donnis, Chirilla’s 65-year-old wife, was airlifted to a Florida hospital in serious condition. HCA Florida Kendall in Miami later said her health had been upgraded to “fair condition,” NBC Miami reported. Her current condition was not immediately known.

Police said earlier that an initial investigation found that one of the couple had complained of illness the night before they were found. Police said they visited a medical facility, received treatment, and then returned to the villa.

It was not clear whether the villas were equipped with carbon monoxide detectors or detectors, and whether they were functional. A Sands spokesperson did not directly respond to a question from NBC News about whether the villas were equipped with carbon monoxide detectors at the time.

In a statement, the spokeswoman said Sandals “fully supported the investigation of this event to ensure that we are doing everything we can to learn from it.”

Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, Bahamas.
Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, Bahamas.Google Maps

“The Bahamian authorities have concluded that the cause was a single accident in a separate building with two guest rooms,” they added.

See also  Shireen Abu Aqla was killed by Israeli bullets, according to a United Nations human rights organization

The spokesperson reiterated previous comments from the company saying that carbon monoxide detectors have since been installed in all guest rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay and will be installed in all guest rooms across the company’s portfolio.

The deaths have cast a shadow over the resort hotel since the accident. The site is described as an “adults only” enclave with 11 restaurants and a golf course overlooking a secluded stretch of beach.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.